I mentioned in the previous post that I had a ‘birthday quilt’ on my list of things to finish. I finally got it bound and cleaned up two days ago. It is ready to be put in the mail. I stippled the entire surface this time. I wanted a particular variegated thread and thought I had been lucky enough to find it until almost a third of the quilt was completed. ARRRG! It wasn’t white, red and brown, but green! Duh, I should have twigged onto it when I read the label and it said ‘Holiday.’ The technique was done with my new free motion foot. It will take some practice to get better at it. I learned it is necessary to keep the speed of the machine consistent and move the fabric a little at a time. Of course the tendency is to move faster as the machine goes faster and the result is stitches that are too big. I am getting the hang of it and am looking forward to trying other free motion patterns with subsequent projects. This effort is not perfect, but I am still thrilled with the way it turned out.
Here is what it looked like to start —
I had a bunch of pre-cut squares in various sizes and thought they would be a good choice since the recipient’s favourite colour is red. Some you might recognize as fabric from the quilt I made for my father’s 90th birthday. Because the squares were all different sizes, it required some math and mental gymnastics to figure out how to assemble them into some sort of pattern that would work. I thought sewing them into strips the width of the quilt would work the best and for the most part it did. Stretching and compacting each strip to get them to fit resulted in a finished product that does not lie perfectly flat as the full image shows.
Still, I think it looks great! This colour palette is one of my favourites. I never thought I was so partial to red until I organized my stash one day and realized how much of the fabric I had purchased — was.
The birthday is tomorrow. Somehow I doubt that Canada Post will get it there by then. Better luck next time…