This was a difficult project. A dear mentor and colleague had mentioned quite some time ago that she wanted a white stole. I promised her I would make her one, and promptly ran into all sorts of difficulties. I had an over all vision of the finished product, but wasn’t sure how to get there. I searched the web for block patterns. I knew I didn’t want to do applique, but would if there were no other options. Of course the cross had to be included, that was easy. The star was fairly straight forward as well, the challenge was not blunting the points. The goblet block came together well for the first attempt at one. The challenge was the companion for the goblet. I had some lovely brown and gold batik with a wheat print that I intended to make a loaf of bread from. But the colour was much too dark and would over power the rest of the symbols. I thought to bleach it, should work, right? Not. It turned, PINK! Frustrated I put the project aside two months ago. I pulled it back out, determined to finish it in time for Christmas.
The solution was to hand stitch wheat heads and stalks opposite the goblet, using yellow wooden beads for the grains of wheat.
I’m satisfied with the finished stole. I learned a few things that will improve the next should I try a quilt block process again, a stiffer backing is needed to keep it flatter, and more generous excess fabric beyond the symbols are needed to trim the entire projected to a uniform width.
My friend was pleased with her new vestment. She’s looking forward to wearing it when celebrating Holy Communion, baptisms, Christmas, Easter, All Saints Day, Transfiguration, Christ the King Sunday.
“For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”