Over a year ago the quilters in my congregation constructed beautiful banners to hang in the sanctuary during Advent. (They can be seen here). At the same time I designed a stole to accompany them. I finally finished it today. Some times, particularly during Advent, we just have to wait.
But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.
I have way too many projects on the go at the moment. They are contributing, in part to the neglect this blog has received. I’ve been really busy, but then it is that time of year. Advent preparations at church, choir practice, budget planning for 2013, thinking about Christmas Eve services at two different churches in two different locations 50 minutes apart, Christmas shopping, baking, etc. etc. etc.
The project displayed is for my son’s girlfriend. She selected the fabrics and I searched and searched to find a pattern that would incorporated them in a pleasing way. It wasn’t easy, the fabrics were very similar to each other, lacking in contrast. I feel I made a good choice, the finished top turned out quite lovely. Even though I eliminated two rows and two columns from the pattern the finished top is too large for me to attempt quilting with my machine. Now I am trying to locate a long arm quilter that has an available appointment less than four months from now.
He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver—by any sort of workman or skilled designer.
Last January, a long time, much loved member of our congregation passed away. I officiated the funeral and was handsomely renumerated. Her favourite time of year was Christmas, she always did it up BIG! I told the family that I would like to do something in her memory.
So, here was my vision. Our congregation has a quilting group that managed to pull me into their creative circle. I approached them with the request that ten banners be quilted to decorate the worship space of the church. They agreed and asked that I provide some sort of ‘pattern.’ It was my hope that everyone would use somewhere in the skyscape the same fabric, purchased by me, to give some continuity through all the banners and they were free to use other fabrics I had available or fabric from their own stashes. The lightest colours fabric was to begin at the bottom of their banner and gradually get darker toward the top. The stars were Friendship Stars and could be placed as suited them. My hope was that the pattern was just a guide and that each quilter would use their own creativity and imagination.
Following is the progress on my own banners.
Top for the 48″ x 64″ banner intended for the left side of the sanctuary
Full view of banner in process of being quilted
Smaller 36″ x 48″ banner in process of being quilted
These larger quilts are 48″ by 64″. They hang at the front of the sanctuary, and so are larger so they can be seen, since no one sits in the front pews…
The below eight quilts are 36″ by 48″. Some of the ladies embroidered the words with machines using a free motion foot. Others hand stitched the lines from favourite Advent and Christmas hymns.
Regrettably the lines do not show up well, but do encourage viewers to come take a closer look.