At the beginning of November, with the church bazaar approaching fast, I embarked on designing a nine patch quilt. Something quick and simple to donate for sale. I had a jelly cake roll that would fit the project perfectly. This is the end result.
The layout reminds me of a map. I added two other fabrics from my stash to make the quilt crib size. The quilt was priced at $125.00, I donated my time, only wanting the cost of the fabric. A deal! It’s still available.
In the cold and snow of winter there’s a spring that waits to be,
unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.
I have a soft spot for fabric lines. I don’t have to make the effort to co-ordinate colours and patterns. This was one of those lines I couldn’t resist. I bought a layer cake, a charm pack, and a couple yards. I separated them into blues and purples. (Of course I want the latter for myself …) I’ve wanted to do a sampler sort of lap quilt for some time using pinwheels. I made them using the 5×5″ charms and bordered them with strips from the layer cake fabric. Throw in a few modified nine patches and a couple log cabins and voila! Very pretty. I titled it “Song of Solomon 2:12” chosen for the flowered fabric and flower quilting. It gave me a chuckle, people grabbed a bible to look up the verse and then asked, where are the turtledoves?!
This one I donated to our church’s annual bazaar. It sold. A congregation member purchased it as a baptism gift for her new grand-daughter.
Song of Solomon 2:12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.
A week or so before Christmas, Facebook threw a page I might like on my news feed. It was a quilting page, over five thousand members. Silly me, I liked the page and now see great quilt projects a dozen times daily. There are some beautiful quilt pictures posted that really get the creative juices flowing. Boxing Day a member posted the first step of a Mystery Quilt. I wasn’t really interested until people started posting pictures of their fabric selections, finished blocks and I went snooping around the quilt stash at the church. A confluence of temptations. Needless to say, I have completed the first step and cut the pieces for the second. And, wouldn’t you know it, my sewing machine decided it needs maintenance. Which sucks because the closest technician is an hour away. I just might have to take a road trip tomorrow.
The floral fabric is older. There were two 36″ bolts of it in the church stash. I have no other clues as to its age. The blue batik was something I had bought thinking it would work with another project I had already purchased fabric for. It didn’t. The white is a bit stark, a pale orange or pastle pink probably would have worked better for the light background, but both those colours are not prominent in my stash, I care for neither.
I think I presently have well over a dozen projects at various stages of production. Another one won’t make any difference!
Daniel 2:19 Then the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel blessed the God of heaven.
One of these days I must take some time and number these quilts. This one I have called Blue Trinity. The squares are three inches by three inches, the short stripes are nine inches long and the long stripes are thirty-three inches long.
This turned out to be a handsome quilt, I really like it. It is one of the first quilted at The Quilty Guilt by my husband. It is destined to go to flood victims in High River, AB. if I can resist the temptation to keep it.
The search for a bible verse for this post brought up 577 occurences of ‘three’ and ‘third’. Many of these are a measure of time, ie ‘three days’ or the ‘third day.’ I think there is a sermon in there somewhere.
Mark 14:58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands.’”
Almost at the finished stages for one quilt top, now fallen to neglect when I realize that the left over scraps are the same size as a stash of other scraps from a previous project. I was working on a quick strip pattern using two Moda 3 Sisters Park Avenue jelly rolls I purchased in Kamloops. We were there just prior to the May long weekend visiting classmates on a Four Day Getaway. My creative impulse has transferred my focus to sewing long strips of four patch blocks, adding a strip of blue to the right and then separating the four pieces with six inches of a neutral. Today I expect to finish piecing this latest project as the weather forecast calls for rain showers and thunderstorms all day today.
As suspected, the red had to come out of Aunt Nancy’s Favourite. So one has now become two. I am replacing the removed blocks with blue, green and purple.
Of course I am maintaining integrity by using more of Barbara Brackman’s fabrics from her Morris Apprentice, A Morris Tapestry and Morris and Company. As I write, four more blocks to go and I will be re-assembling the top.