Looking very closely at the upper left edge of this quilt you can see the rippled border that I mentioned in my last post. Last night I carefully removed the borders, pressed them again, trimmed up the outside edges to be straight, in the case of the strip columns, and square across the top. This morning I proceeded with the steps that I believed I could skip that caused the problem in the first place. I measured the top, centre and bottom, added the three measurements together and divided by three. Then I did the same for the left, centre and right sides. I cut the borders to the appropriate lengths. First I attached the sides by pinning the border at the middle and ends first and then adding pins halfway between, and continuing at half way increments until each border was secure. Then I sewed the border to the quilt. I repeated this process for each side and … surprise! The borders lay flat, imagine that. Five hours later I was back where I thought I was a day ago. Sigh. Lesson learned, don’t skip steps!
The quilt is now sandwiched and ready for quilting. I’m thinking of doing something stenciled or drawn on the navy strips and stippling the colourful strips in the columns. I’ll post photos when it’s done.