Dilemma Resolved


It’s taken a long time to finally finish this quilt.  (See here for progress reports)  First I had to take all of the predominantly red blocks out to suit the recipient.  Then I struggled with the borders.  I’ve been in the process of a move, that delayed attention to this project for six months.  The recipient saw the progress recently and chose the fabric for the border.  Wouldn’t you know it?  I didn’t quite have enough.  Typical.  I designed blocks for the corners, that reduced the length of fabric I would need by 40″ and I decided not to mitre the strips, saving another sixteen plus inches.  Whew, a little more than enough to border the quilt and eventually bind it.  The corner blocks are bigger than ideal, at least they served the purpose and still are in keeping with elements of blocks in the main body of the quilt.  I am declaring this quilt top, done.
DSC_0529
Psalm 144:12  May our sons in their youth be like plants full grown, our daughters like corner pillars, cut for the building of a palace.

WM Redux – Dilemma Revisited


DSC_0220Aunt Nancy’s Favourite in William Morris (here is the original) fabrics has been finally repieced with a nod to the recipient’s preferences.  Most of the red fabrics have been removed, replaced with purples and greens.  I was much more deliberate in matching up the points this time around.  I am much more pleased with the effort.  It is still a handsome quilt.  I am planning on going with blue/green borders this time.  There is too much going on in my work space, I have to resist starting something new and finish up the projects on the go!

DSC_0213

1 – ready for borders
2 – off to the Quilty Guilt
3 – blocks ready to be sewn together

Scrappy Strip Top


DSC_0815Fridays are my day off.  I managed to get the ‘Fruits of the Spirit’ top finished.  What a great project to reduce the scrap stash.  I will take the quilt to the church next week to sandwich.  This one is a donation quilt for a women’s and children’s shelter.  I cut the bindings for this quilt and the snowball quilt.

The quilters are currently working on banners for Lent.  That will be my next focus.  I’m getting closer to striking some of the projects in progress off the list.  Hurray!

DSC_0816

WIP Wednesday


DSC_0760

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have way too many projects on the go at the moment.  They are contributing, in part to the neglect this blog has received.  I’ve been really busy, but then it is that time of year.  Advent preparations at church, choir practice, budget planning for 2013, thinking about Christmas Eve services at two different churches in two different locations 50 minutes apart, Christmas shopping, baking, etc. etc. etc.

DSC_0759The project displayed is for my son’s girlfriend.  She selected the fabrics and I searched and searched to find a pattern that would incorporated them in a pleasing way.  It wasn’t easy, the fabrics were very similar to each other, lacking in contrast.  I feel I made a good choice, the finished top turned out quite lovely.  Even though I eliminated two rows and two columns from the pattern the finished top is too large for me to attempt quilting with my machine.  Now I am trying to locate a long arm quilter that has an available appointment less than four months from now.

Exodus 35:35
He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver—by any sort of workman or skilled designer.